Well Women Visits in San Antonio, TX
At Alamo Wellness Alliance, we understand that preventative healthcare is very important in maintaining health and preventing disease. For women, an annual well-woman visit provides screening for gynecologic and breast conditions. Dr. Huyen Nguyen is a board-certified physician with extensive experience providing care to women throughout Live Oak, TX. Call (210) 599-4086 to schedule an appointment at our office today!
Annual Well-Woman Visit
An annual well-woman visit is a time to see your healthcare provider to:
- Discuss family history, family planning, and personal habits, such as alcohol and tobacco use
- Geta breast exam to check for lumps or other abnormalities
- Get an abdominal exam to check for masses or other abnormalities
- Get a pelvic exam including a Pap test to check for infections and precancerous cells in the vagina and cervix.
- Schedule necessary blood and urine tests as needed to screen for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sexually transmitted infections
- Discuss contraception, fertility or other concerns
- Ask questions and raise concerns about any women’s health issues you’re experiencing
- Set and make plans for achieving health goals, such as being active and maintaining a healthy weight
A regular Pap test can save your life. It can find cancer of the cervix before it spreads to other areas of the body. If caught early, treatment for cancer of the cervix can be easier and the chances of curing it are far greater. It is important for all women to have a pap test, along with a pelvic exam, a part of their routine health care.
Your physician will provide screenings that can help prevent disease or detect it early when it’s easier to treat. Your age will dictate what screenings will be recommended.
Women Younger than 40
Women 40 or older
- blood pressure check each year
- cholesterol check as recommended by your physician
- diabetes screening every three years beginning at age 44
- colonoscopy every 10 years beginning at age 50
- mammogram every one or two years as recommended by your physician
You should start to receive annual well-woman exams between the ages of 18 and 21, or when you become sexually active. If you are experiencing any women’s health issues, you should schedule an exam sooner.